25 Oct 2008

Pen Tarot ~ 44/100


Ohhh what can I say these are delicious!

The artist Penelope Cline, has created the Major Arcana and a plus one card, The Artist. Read more here about her inspiration etc. http://www.figtreepress.co.uk/ThePenTarot.htm

They arrived beautifully boxed and wrapped in lovely black felt. The cards are a nice large size, which I think is good for a major's only set. The cards are abit on the thin side but these are so special that I doubt you would subject them to hard use!
The book let that comes with them is unusual, in that she doesn't give us the cards meanings beyond a quote, some of which is on the bottom of the card.
I particularly like The Chariot:

Bring me my bowl of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
(W.Blake)

And The Hermit:

Hermit hoar, in solemn cell,
Wearing out life's evening gray;
Smite thy bosom, sage, and tell,
What is bliss and which the way?
(S. Johnson)

The black, white and gray and then the unexpected splash of colour is stunning and really makes you 'read' these cards. I use decks that are very colourful, usually packed with detail and often very complex and difficult cards to read, so these are a refreshing change. They are almost more like oracle cards in the way they encourage meditation.

If these cards are still available (strictly only 100) I urge you to get them, a beautiful and highly personal deck to enhance any collection.

No comments: